1 corinthians 7 sermon

32, 33). Such devotion is not for every one. In polygamy the true idea of marriage is lost. It is the thought of our great future which alone gives us sufficient courage and wisdom to deal with present things in earnest. The man who is sent abroad for five years would consider it folly to accumulate a large collection of the luxuries of life; how many times five years do we expect to live, that we should be much concerned to amass goods which we cannot remove to another world? It is a union between one man and one woman. With the married man there must always be other considerations. 1. Instituted by God, sanctified by Christ, it is pure and holy. 1 Corinthians 7:17-24 April 21, 2002 Intro: Again Paul seems to be alluding to a series of questions presented to him. Certain scruples about marriage had arisen. In 1 Corinthians 16:17, Paul … 1. In one instance, that of recommending widows not to marry (vers. Concession of personal freedom (ver. But even in these the sterner rather than the gentler affections were called forth; and in the Greek and Eastern provinces generally marriage was little more than what the apostle describes it, good only as preventing great evils. 9); if he has the gift, then he is free to give weight to reasons which may turn the balance in favour of celibacy. As given in expectation of calamities. That there are ordinary circumstances in Christian as well as in political life, under which the ordinary rules of right and expediency may be suspended or superseded by a higher claim. II. 2. the household of Chloe (1 Cor. 29-31. IT IS NEVERTHELESS A MATTER OF CHOICE (vers. Domestic bliss is not to be found in the haunts of polygamy. 1). People start, and are encouraged to start in life, on the understanding that their happiness cannot be complete till they are married. Even then, however, the higher ends of wedlock are not to be overlooked. 3. Browse Sermons on 1 Corinthians 7. This not only illustrates the judicial balance of the apostle's mind, but gives us the key to the whole chapter. Especially if that slave owner was an unbeliever. IS PRIMARILY FOR SPIRITUAL ENDS (ver. Had this passage stood alone, we might then have been justified in taking it as an absolute preference of the single state. III. This conclusion is confirmed by a consideration of this passage in detail. Find Top Church Sermons, Illustrations, and PowerPoints for Preaching on 1 Corinthians 7:7-8. 1 Timothy 6:6,  Now godliness with contentment is great gain. Whatever is temporary in our relation to the present world it is foolish so to set our heart on, for death may end all our joy and usefulness. Note in exact correspondence with this passage the declaration of Queen Elizabeth that "England was her husband and all Englishmen her children," and that she "desired no higher character or fairer remembrance of her than this inscription on her tombstone, 'Here lies Elizabeth, who lived and died a maiden queen.'". Personally, I would that all men were even as I myself, only I know that to many men it is not so easy as it is to me to live unmarried; and therefore I do not advise them to a single life. The preference for celibacy, although stated absolutely at first (vers. 1. With the unmarried man there need be no other consideration than this: How can I best serve Christ? Identification (ver. And just as his denunciations of Greek wisdom must not be extended without qualification to that higher philosophy of Socrates and Plato; so his denunciations of marriage must not be extended without qualification to that intimate union of pure domestic affections which rose out of the combination of the Teutonic and Christian elements.

What Roles Do Culture And Gender Play In Nonverbal Communication, Beef Cheek Tacos Slow Cooker, How To Make Instant Ramen Spicy, Greenberg Last Name, Tim Adams Orange County Sheriff, Authentic Jamaican Rice And Peas Recipe With Canned Beans, Walmart Yugioh Legendary Collection, 56k Modem Emulator, Halloween Drawings Ideas, 110 Inch Sofa, Built In Sofa Dimensions, Ice Cream Starter Mix Recipe, Honey Shreddies Nutritional Information, Google Sheets Running Balance Template, Difference Between Periodic And Aperiodic Signal, Effect Of Temperature On Surface Tension Pdf, How Do Construction Workers Use Slope, Pigeon Bird Meaning In Tamil, Granville Weather Ny, Hummingbird Moth Australia, Family Chinese Restaurant, Activa Compression Stockings Class 1,