computer science competency matrix

Basically, the guys who read papers on the job, and come up with seemingly gruesome yet bulletproof gambits on the regular. ( Log Out /  Tags: competency, evaluation, matrix, programming. From my experience, the skills listed for that for computer science would fit that criteria. Kudos! I'm sure it's coincidental that it tracks with the author's professional experience, and I'm curious to see whether it changes when the author updates it for new technologies and techniques. I would have put TAPL before Thinking Forth, and The Little Schemer is kind of redundant with SICP. With the various levels having things like ability to read core dumps, ability to run debug tools against the executable, Guess And Check, Spam Printfs, Logging frameworks, etc, I guess the progression may be Guess And Check -> Printfs -> Able to use debugger to evaluate running code -> Builds code with sophisticated logging that permits forensic evaluation of problems and remote diagnosis of customer issues where a debugger isn't available. ( Log Out /  Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. It's good for what it is: one guy's view of what makes a good programmer. I stumbled upon this Programmer Competency Matrix, so I tried to evaluate myself. Possibly add a line for debugging? I am this I am that." r/compsci. Change ), Why we cannot ignore functional programming. Its just a blog with some guy experience/opinions in a table. Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email. It also completely ignores the non-tech things that make a good programmer, like being able to push back on bad projects, bad schedules, and bad requirements. Also, the Books section was weird. People from all … Press J to jump to the feed. I'm confused as to how to react to this competency matrix. People from all walks of life welcome, including hackers, hobbyists, professionals, and academics. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. почитайте может поменяете чего в жизни https://moneymams.blogspot.com/. My main criticism is some n2 are too high - having to write your own framework to reach n2 is too much. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Anyway, such a list, if developed by a single person like this one is, is going to be missing some stuff. ( Log Out /  Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. If you are looking to assess skills required in software engineering then check this out. r/compsci: Computer Science Theory and Application. If you get your hands on such a creature, it's extremely important that knowledge of the code they write be well distributed across a solid team. Also "Has his own library to help with defensive coding," for defensive coding isn't a good idea in my view (just use an existing one). Is it for people to assess their "competency"? Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window), Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window), Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window), http://www.nodewave.com/cms/content/view/programmer-competency-matrix–self-evaluation-excel-sheet/free-documents/, http://www.indiangeek.net/programmer-competency-matrix/, Top 10 Traits of a Rockstar Software Engineer, Which Data structure to choose ? User account menu. They tend to get shit done in very unorthodox ways, and know best practices well enough to know when to skirt them. The list contains categories from Computer Science, Software Engineering, Programming, Experience & Knowledge. Architecture is also, strangely, entirely missing from the list. The list is pure baloney. Please send me an e-mail if interested. I guess that's pretty decent for someone with <1 year of professional experience. Note that the knowledge for each level is cumulative; being at level… We share and discuss any content that computer scientists find interesting. ( Log Out /  What does this have to do with computer science? The people I'd consider elite there have gotten a Knuth check or have written a bunch of papers. I don't see myself a good programmer but this made me feel better. Experience would simply move him further to the right. If I tried to make it, it would show my own blind spots too. Computer Science data structures 2 algorithms 1 systems programming 1 Software Engineering source code version control 3 build automation 3 automated testing 2 Programming problem decomposition 3 systems decomposition 2 communication 2 code organization within a file 3 code organization across … I think there's way more to a programmer than a check box that says "uh huh I know this. Looks like I have a long, long ways to go. The books in the leftward sections are pretty basic stuff, they're basically poor substitutes for real world experience. Computer Science Theory and Application. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. While my current work doesn't need much more in those areas, if I was looking for new work I might spend some time improving on those weaknesses. – Data Structures selection and performance comparison, Designing for Scalability – Scalability Rules, Design and Architecture Checklist - .NET Performance and Scalability. It all looks kinda dumb, to me, focused on "SOFTWARE ENGINEERING(TM)" rather than on actual object-level problems. I think the matrix needs to be expanded, I've met some people who'd fit the log(log(n)) category, the Fabrice Bellard and Miguel de Icazas of the world, plus half the people I know who work GCC or kernel arch maintainers. Don't let perfection be the enemy of good though - while not perfect (for the points you mentioned) it does give a decent breakdown of many of the skills required for software development. I learned out of Structure and Interpretation, and haven't heard of half the ones in the lower categories. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. у кого мало опыта в бизнесе или хочет просто сменить место работы Sure, he covers that on the communication part, but people are so much more than that. Or does it just appeal to your sense of superiority? Eg this table shows I have some weaknesses in systems and database programming (I would only be n2 for these). A programmer dick waving contest? Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. http://www.indiangeek.net/programmer-competency-matrix/. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. This is missing a "dangerously smart" column. Рада всех приветствовать

Dickinson V Dodds, Wells Fargo Level 5 Salary, How Do Construction Workers Use Slope, Baby I Love You Daze Characters, Google Sheets Histogram Bin Size, Oxo Good Grips Non-stick Pro 10-piece Bakeware Set, Safranin Acidic Or Basic, What Happens If You Eat Lettuce Everyday, Structured Programming Vs Object Oriented Programming, Honey Shreddies Nutritional Information, Rice Wine Vinegar Substitute, Wake Me Up Violin Sheet Music, Flying Flags Of Other Countries, Green Life Pots And Pans Reviews, Interdigitated Meaning In Telugu, Baileys Cheesecake Recipe Jamie Oliver, Justice League Cadmus Arc Episodes, What Temperature Kills E Coli In Flour, Existentialism Philosophy Of Education Pdf, Payroll Accounting Entries, Bertrand Russell The Problems Of Philosophy Summary, Cisco 819 Eol, Rio Grande Juice Company, 11 Siblings Kept In Cages, Where Does Madder Grow,