computer science or information systems reddit

The problem is that I cannot decide between computer science and information systems. Any help would be appreciated! Recently I've been tossing around the idea of Computer Information Systems. Nobody knows wtf our major is about. I don't like math as much (and this degree requires less math) and it involves more of what I want to do. WHOEVER TELLS YOU OTHERWISE IS A FOOL! Information Technology vs. Computer Science. It looks like I won't be able to use them as 'easy' credits to balance out my hard classes. A degree in Computer Information Systems blends together computer technology, business and communication for a practical application of a technological degree. You have to start somewhere but a CS degree will help you start higher. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. I've heard of students taking Computer Information Systems in an attempt to have an easier course track, and I suspect that sort of behavior diminishes the overall value of the degree. Some might offer a course on "helpdesk." It is pointless compared to computer science, yes. I'm pretty sleepy rn but i'll try to break it down. If you're not sure what you want to do, stick with computer science -- you really can't go wrong with it. The question you find yourself most drawn to is a clue to which type of online degree you’d prefer when it comes to Computer Information Systems vs Computer Science. or more business focused fields (IT business analyst, project management) CIS is going to be just fine, and may offer some advantages over CS (though you could get around that by doing a CS major with a minor in business.) Many of the online IT degrees offered today are related to Computer Science, Information Technology or Computer Information Systems. Also, not directly related to your question, but if you haven't started to do so yet, get to looking for internships if at all possible. Press J to jump to the feed. You don't have to work for Apple or Microsoft or Google. just do computer science because it's better. Not as good as CompSci, but good opportunities just the same. As of 2017, the median compensation for either field was more than double the national average for all occupations. Information Technology – (How Does the Technology Work?) I WANT TO STRESS THAT WHAT SCHOOL YOU ATTEND DOES MATTER! Other than that they take literally the exact same classes. Computer Science, Computer Engineering and Software Engineering all have something of an employment pipeline. The Amazon re:Invent convention is happening in November. I tried and tried to get myself a B.S in Computer Science but I simply cannot get pass the higher-level math courses and I don't want to burden myself and my family anymore with the school cost. As far as employers are concerned, I am ready to go. My CIS department does not give a shit about the app development track, Too high of a focus on Microsoft Products (ASP.NET, VB.NET, MSSQL). However, each specialty focuses on specific aspects of the field, and careers within the three areas vary greatly. Some CIS degrees are software & programming-heavy. I would have to stay at my community college an extra year if I went for CS (I was originally going for CS). I started at UH main campus and suffered though the statistic and prob classes. I encourage you to take classes that touch on these topics: Your degree should already require some of those.The Amazon AWS model is exploding throughout the industry. Networking and meeting people or other students in the field will help when it comes to landing a job. At my school, we have CSE in the college of engineering and CIS in the college of arts and sciences. CIS is a different focus than CS. If you're looking to get into IT Operations (desktop support, sysadmin, network admin, etc.) Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. No offense, and I seriously mean this in a critically positive way, but you need to work on your communication skills. I am now in the cyber security field and really enjoy it the different career options that the CS degree has opened for me. The levels of difficulty don't even compare. CIS can translate in to a business/data analyst type role, network/systems admin, even venturing in to assurance/security type roles. I'm willing to learn, provided I find it enjoyable. I'm not sure if I can set aside my negative bias of CIS when I review resumes ><. At a glance, IT (information technology) careers are more about installing, maintaining, and improving computer systems, operating networks, and databases. Since it would be worth my time but idk. If you're looking more at software development, then you really want to stick with computer science. A good CIS degree should include at least two, and preferably three specific software classes.Java is the usual language of choice. I worked for a company that hired both, CS and CIS. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. just do computer science because it's better. Tech degrees vary widely in terms of the concepts that they emphasize. But CIS doesn't really need all that. Majors like CIS/MIS can vary greatly at different schools. This is not to say you can't do the same with a CIS degree and some certs, but if you look at plenty of job postings, the CS degree is the most preferred by employers. You can't go by the name of the major like you can with 'computer science'. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Going into my second semester of Freshman year, knocking out prerequisites. Press J to jump to the feed. These programs will groom you for research and development type jobs, which really are the pinnacle of technology. Calculus and Physics classes also sucked but I graduated somehow and it was well worth it. Where with CS you can go the engineering/programming route, CIS is meant to bridge the business and IT worlds. Computer science or Computer Information Systems Hi I recently got into University of Houston and I was thinking about changing my major from computer science to computer information systems. Some of these people posses more programming knowledge (ie frameworks) than CS people. Don't be intimidated by the math, anyone can learn it given enough time to study and do the homework, and I am sure … While a CS degree will look better than a CIS degree on the surface, if you add side projects, self learning, etc....You can easily supplement the knowledge and may have a fighting chance. I've always been interested in computers, even if I've never done much beyond the surface. We're pretty much training to be an asshole boss's bitch. At others, it's essentially computer science program with a couple of business classes thrown in. The purpose for IT in every business is to support that business with their technological needs. Also build your network, I am currently an IT major(I call it CS-lite) and got an interview with for a software engineering internship mainy due to the recruiter attending the same community college as me. Cookies help us deliver our Services. CS seems more rigorous and like it would teach the fundamentals better. Getting a first job with a 60k salary is definitely doable, I now have more free time to independently further my knowledge, I want to do a Data Science M.S., which i'll be able to do after taking about half the undergrad CS classes. CIS is a good degree. No admissions questions, cheating, memes, or illegal behavior/piracy.

Black And White Dinnerware Sets, Vegetables Images And Names, Complement In A Sentence, Country Wallpaper Borders, High Schools In Barnegat Nj, How To Make Sticky Rice With Jasmine Rice, Calphalon Signature Stainless Steel Vs Tri Ply, Japanese Fish Ramen, Balfour V Balfour Law Teacher, Trader Joe's Salsa Verde, Cisco Routers Models, White Chocolate Raspberry Cake Nothing Bundt Cake, James 4:7 Sermon, Sierra Vista Herald Classifieds, Difference Between Surface Tension And Surface Energy, Country Wallpaper Borders, Huli Huli Chicken Menu, Cube Rule Of Food, James 4:7 The Message, How To Play Stellaris 2020, Ricotta On Pizza Before Or After Cooking, Taco Cabana Margarita To-go Flavors, De Buyer Carbone Plus Steel Frying Pan, Yamaha Bolt Review, Greece Powerpoint Presentation, Rice Wine Alcohol Content, Marriott Marana, Az, Italian Sandwich With Mozzarella, Rtos Application In Embedded System, Independent Record Label Contract, Brass Vs Bronze, St Augustine Mass Schedule, Keto Meal Prep Near Me, Search Engine Evaluator Qualification, Chicken Haleem Near Me, 5742 Avenue Du Parc, Ricotta Filled Pastry, Marital Status In Cv,