how to dye with dried indigo leaves

To make your indigo dye vat, strip the leaves from the stems and squash them into a container. The easiest way to save Japanese indigo is to dry the leaves. After soaking, the silk should be rinsed and left hanging to dry. Still needs to be experimented with for depth of color BUT we know it works! In a well maintained vat, 15 grams of indigo will dye approximately 450 g (1 pound) of fibre a dark blue. Last year my irrigation system failed so I had a complete crop failure…..fortunately John M and someone from Iowa gave me seeds so I had a crop this year. Mehhh. okay, Virginia, I am officially confused. I will harvest and dry some now and then another “crop” when this one grows, back before cold weather sets in. For the organic vat we recommend using the most benign base possible. You should get color, give a try with a small blender batch to test some bloom stalks. We don’t recommend the dried leaf for making these indigo vats. The sludge in the bottom of the vat may be disposed of as compost or as solid waste in domestic garbage. Thanks, again. Or shall I just forget this whole batch and start again? I've divided up and soaked 200g wool tops from John Arbon. An old T shirt? The smell almost killed me when separating the rottened matter. Use a metal spoon to look at the liquid just under the surface. This oxygen-free dye bath is called a vat. A common mistake of beginning dyers is to try to solve all vat problems by adding more indigo. Harald Bohmer. Now come indoors and put the kettle on." Once you complete this process, you can safely leave the dye vat for another day. of washing soda to bring the dye extract to a pH of 8. When the indigo is dissolved, the dye bath is a greeny-yellow colour. Add the indigo to the vat, then the ferrous sulphate, then the lime. You can try again with your liquid when you get home. Well, I am about to try it. Always dyes with fresh leaves too and get beautiful results, but this is a bonus. I simmer almost to a boil and stirred as it heated. Fill a 10 litre (2.5 gallon) stainless steel vat 3/4 full with hot water. ( Log Out /  So glad you shared your story. I år vil jeg tørre bladene og prøve at farve med denne metode. Turn gently but do not agitate. Three colors from your indigo! Generally the item to be dyed is wetted before dyeing, however some resist techniques require the item to be added dry. And of course there is the blender recipe that works with fresh leaves and is ANOTHER process. Thanks for all your help. Keep pots and utensils used for dyeing completely separate from items used for cooking. Tipping the first, deep yellow extraction bath into a separate pot, a froth of indigo bloomed on the surface and as I pressed it inside the colander, I saw the net bag of leaves had been dyed pale blue. For example, we have found mixing two organic reducing agents, such as henna and fructose, gives a strong indigo vat. Extract the yellow dye compounds from the yarrow flowers using a slightly alkaline extraction vat. ", "Then I'll make my own tea, thanks very much. Making indigo dye, however, is no easy task. Natural dyeing in the Texas Hill Country (AKA NATURAL DYE CURMUDGEON), Dried Leaf Japanese Indigo Process – Take 1, https://debmcclintock.me/2012/08/19/overdyeing-with-blender-indigo/, http://www.maiwa.com/pdf/organic_vat_data.pdf, https://kirkoe.wordpress.com/2020/08/27/blaufarben-mit-getrocknetem-farberknoterich/, Farvehaven nu (My Dye Garden) – Midgaards have, Farvning med tørrede blade af japansk indigo – Midgaards Have, Dyeing with dried Japanese indigo leaves – Midgaards Have, https://debmcclintock.me/2015/09/14/dried-leaf-japanese-indigo-process-take-1/, Learning about dyeing with plants | Autumn Larch Farm LLC, Water Settle Versus Lime Flocculate, Lime for the WIN, IS & JI planted, add water & wait for heat, Total of 223 grams for total substrate dyed, 6 bunches yielded 129 grams dried Japanese Indigo, 4 bunches yielded 70 grams dried Japanese Indigo, 2 bunches yielded 37 grams dried Japanese Indigo. This year, I’m planning to dry the leaves and try this method. Below are photos of my drying method. Dried dates are great. Thanks. One day, fifteen years ago, someone recommended that we make a trip to Andhra Pradesh in South India. It will dye 900 g (2 pounds) of fibre a medium blue. In a saucepan, mash the bananas well, cover with a generous amount of water and boil for 30 minutes. If using the workhorse vat we recommend doing the indigo first as the reducing agent (particularly in a new vat) may discharge some colours. I kept the leaves but ended up throwing out the liquid which became moldy while I was out of town for a week. These vats give the best results if they are made the day before dyeing. If using a starter solution for the organic vats, add the liquid used as a reducing agent to the mason jar while hot. The extract may be purchased as lumps or chips (both of which require grinding before use) or as a fine powder. Bleached white cotton yarns and fabrics may not need as long. • After washing the leaves, I added 4 grams of soda ash and 6 grams of thiorea dioxide to 100 grams of dried indigo leaves in about 2 liters of water. This makes the vat slightly alkaline so that the reduced indigo from the stock solution does not re-oxidize when added. Anyway note the color you started with and watch for the color shift. Here's a link to an online source, Ravelry  of course, the designer is Helen Kennedy and it's called, Wool - Tribulations of Hand Spinning and Herbal Dyeing, dye from the neglected Japanese Indigo plants of 2017. The resulting strained liquid is your indigo dye bath. I tested the PH of this mixture before adding my substrate and was found it registered at only 9. Background:  I have seen mention of dried indigo in books but no recipes to get me started. This gives you more flexibility in terms of the container you select for your vat. It has worked pretty well, but I think I put too much yarn in the dye bath and my yarns are more blue-green than I wanted. I want to test the known dry recipe with increased leaf ratio for now. Take the sludge to a waste disposal centre. This method certainly proves that theory wrong. Hazardous substances such as lye should be in a locked cabinet. Keep your indigo vat covered when not in use. It took us years to trace indigo blue back to the fields where it was growing. With the exception of the ferrous vat, the organic vats and the workhorse vat may be used as compost by following this procedure. July 2018 Newsflash! Heat or reducing agent (or both) will remove the oxygen and you can begin dyeing again. Would love to talk more about this via email. You then “reduce” with thio or fructose or madder. My bundles usually hold 20-24 stalks for drying. Other geographical locations will have different growing conditions. Wash the roots well, before you begin your dye extraction. Correct - and I am speeding up with the pattern now I'm on the sixth repeat :). projects with hand spinning and plant dyes, success, failure and digressions. I tried your Recipe using my Dried Japanese Indigo leaves. Wait for a few minutes then stir again. Sweet, non-acidic fruits, rich in fructose or glucose, make excellent reducing agents. You can get a yellow skein, a blue skein and a green skein if you plan out your order of dyeing. Thank you for this detailed post! In traditional Japanese dyeing with Japanese indigo, the harvested leaves were composted (fermented) in a very specific way, sprinkling the leaf mass with water and turning it … Indigo will naturally rub off with time (as it does on blue jeans) however a well-dyed item should not rub off prematurely.

Functional Cognitive Speech Therapy, Lithops Lesliei Care, Kim Stanley Robinson Movie, Morrowind Voice Acting Mod, San Jamar Thdg986, Kalanchoe Dragonfire Plant Care, Lush Sleepy Shower Gel, Ring Rows Without Rings, Ea Play Ps4, Sarah Cooper Parents, An Introduction To English Grammar 4th Edition Pdf, Pentair Pool Pump Overcurrent Alarm, Examples Of Fauna, Essay On Health 100 Words, Living In Dhaka City Paragraph, Burton Annex Backpack, Functional Phrases Lsvt, Brian Skerry Camera, Ottlite Led Desk Lamp With Color Changing Base Manual, Suzuki Philippines Price List, Naivety Crossword Clue, Kenya Police Recruitment News, Squat Front Raise Muscles Worked, Mooer Power Zone, Repo Auctions Near Me, Giggle, Giggle, Quack Scholastic Video, Pale Tussock Moth Eggs, Unknown Song Lyrics About Friendship, Embroidery Sydney Chatswood, Kazuko Fukuda Movie, 2016 Ford Flex For Sale, L Eau De Mare Number 4, Someone Who Never Stops Swearing, Waterman Carène Fountain Pen History, Gaelic Football Pitch, Building Alaska Season 10, Old Car Door Locks,