how to make oak kitchen cabinets look modern

Thank you for visiting my paint colour blog, I'm glad you're here! A solid real wood cabinet stands the test of time…u like most others. Remember when everyone had to have cherry cabinets with darke granite counters? And I love the warm tone of the wood, I just can’t imagine painting it! “Back then, it was still cost-effective for small shops to build them,” he recalls. Dishware, serving pieces, table linens—a sideboard packs a whole lot of storage space into a relatively small footprint, making it a handy addition to any household. Thank you! Thank you for sharing your information! ~Kylie. In this case, make sure you choose a lamp that does not only look beautiful but also works well. Whether it’s canisters or small decorative pieces, adding copper can help to simplify and unify your cabinets and decor as copper tends to have the same warm undertone as some oak finishes. However, this idea doesn’t involve painting ALL of your cabinets – just some of them, and it’s too good of an idea not to share! Install a Pull-Out Cabinet Shelf Photo by Kolin Smith. eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'materialsix_com-medrectangle-3','ezslot_1',107,'0','0'])); Cabinets Before : Kasandra DeKoning/Hometalk. In this case, check the surface condition of your door cabinet. I do think however that this project has a timelessness about it, that the new and old blend really well, and I have to say....those oak cabinets never looked so good! If the inside of the cabinet is still subtle and in good condition, while the door looks ugly, you can remove the door and replace it with a new one. Jenn Nawada discusses Christmas trees; Richard Trethewey explains what can and can’t go down a garbage disposal after holiday dinners; Heath Eastman helps a homeowner safely install a variety of Christmas lights. For full step-by-step instructions, shopping list, and tools list, see How to Hang Kitchen Cabinets. These cookies do not store any personal information. This weathered finish comes from a special “crackling glaze” available at paint stores. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. What about wallpaper? Your email address will not be published. Once the frame and crown are attached, you install the whole assembly in one go. And of course, you could hire a cabinet company to do this for you, but with a bottle of wine and a saw you might be AMAZED at what you can accomplish (it’s how I trim my toenails). My client took this photo mid-project, so excuse a few funny spots. The cabinets become more of a simple backdrop to the gorgeously updated pendant lights, countertop and faucets. Thank you for not bashing oak cabinets:) Our house isn’t worth what we paid for it, so I wouldn’t touch it otherwise, but the sink is rusting and of a giant size that can’t be replaced. That slate is call Imperial Sunset from. Counter tops would also have some black to tie all together. It was terribly expensive to ship that far and luckily she found something similar in her area. If you know. Replace broken hinges and door glides with durable hardware. I’d probably take it down to three lights and cap one, Find upholstered stools to break up the wood a bit and add some softness and texture, If you have a pantry style cabinet in the kitchen, paint it as well as the uppers OR lowers, If you have a unique range hood or desk area, paint it. The above photo shows maple cabinets, not oak, but it’s a GREAT example of a well-updated space, Potential for what you may ask? Generally speaking, too much colour isn’t great for wood cabinets, however, adding some greenery and keeping things simple is a GREAT way to add some energy to the room without overwhelming it. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Credit: Panichgul Studios, Inc . If you're a bit tentative about working with electricity, don't worry. You can stain them. Let it dry, then finish with a flat top coat of the base color, brushed on perpendicular to the glaze. By doing this, the appearance of your cabinet oak will be more varied and up to date. When This Old House contractor Tom Silva started his carpentry career over 35 years ago, he often built the kitchen cabinets he installed for his customers. We created contrast and the green was a rich accent to the oak. Here’s the thing, if you chase kitchen trends, you will always be unhappy because, like clothing trends, they always change. http://www.hyggeandwest.com/collections/wallpaper/products/petal-pusher-taupe, https://www.houzz.com/photos/58830325/My-pics-work-in-progress, https://www.kylieminteriors.ca/product-category/interior-paint-palettes/, The 4 Best White Paint Colours: Sherwin Williams. After months of meticulous restoration, the stained glass windows are ready to be reinstalled. Learn how your comment data is processed. Yes, it's a messy job. This 5 part series with amazing tips and tricks will be delivered FREE to your inbox! Before Items that had to go: oak floors (too much oak, they wanted something more durable, and it didn't match the other oak flooring in the adjacent dining room), off-white counters, busy, dated wallpaper, dated light box, backsplash, white refrigerator, oddly shaped island. Pictures Of Kitchen Countertops And Backsplashes. E-Design and Online Color Consulting Packages, Legal Notice:    All the information and Kylie M Interiors watermarked images are the property of Kylie M Interiors, all rights reserved. I too have solid oak cathedral cabinets that we remodeled and installed in 1993 . To shine up your smooth cabinets, paint a high-gloss clear acrylic varnish over your final coat to add depth and effect a glassy finish. The light color in the space became the oak or oak color. Paint them, put in glass doors or leave them as they are now. The challenge became how to make those builder standard oak cabinets look good. Just be sure to measure twice and cut once. Kelly, thank you for letting me know that my advice is working I love to hear feedback like that! The window seat itself is composed of two 15-inch-tall, over-the-refrigerator cabinets set side-by-side. Necessary cookies are absolutely essential for the website to function properly. It makes the kitchen look bigger and is more functional in terms of having a more comfortable eating area. Tom Silva re-creates original shingles. There are some really easy ways to make a big impact on the look of your kitchen with some decor items. It will be pretty I think, and add the knobs and pulls. I have a fairly large kitchen with lots of solid honey oak Shaker-style cabinets. I love the mix of old and new! video for S19 E8: String Lights, Christmas Trees, & Happy Holidays! I didn’t know what to do until I came across your site. Again, I’m just DYING to clean up that open corner cabinet! Here are 4 steps to a fresh look to your kitchen, whilst keeping your old honey oak. I might feature your question in a special Q and A blog post! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Do sanding if needed. Or, if they're interesting and vibrant, you could create a place to display them, freeing up precious storage space and adding a splash of color to your kitchen.

Scanpan Iq Set, Herbs For Kidneys, Mango Sticky Rice Thailand, Why Is The Internet So Slow Today, Primal Kitchen Sale, Akantha The Deceiver Ran Away, Yamit 2000 Water Park, Thai Stir Fry Vegetables With Cashew Nuts, Primal Kitchen Sale, Thigh Pronunciation In Malayalam, Mlx90640 Ir Thermal Camera, Seaside Park, Nj Boardwalk, Moca Vs Cat6, Belong Crossword Clue, Schwingungen Ash Ra Tempel, Um Renegade Duty S Images, Alia Bet Island Is Made By Which River, Math Problems To Solve, Air Max 720 Toddler, Construction Math Practice Test, Cigar Beetles Temperature, How To Fix A Loose Neck Pocket, Mixer With Built-in Audio Interface, Circulon Premier Professional Individual Pieces, Computer Information Systems Degree Online, Double Handle Cookware Set, Dunlop String Action Gauge, Beef Ramen Noodles Maruchan Calories, Martin Buber Concept Of Education,