how to make split pea soup

Place the butter in a large soup pot over medium-low heat. Our children reminded him that we all were required to take at least 2 bites. I often make this with ham or corned beef. Bring to a boil, cover, remove from heat and let sit for 1 hour. Also, I sauteed my onions, half white and half red, before adding them to the soup. In a Dutch oven or 5-quart heavy pot with a lid, heat oil over medium. I'm vegetarian, can I leave it out? For a different spin on traditional pea soup, try this split pea soup recipe with corned beef. Add ham hock and cook, turning occasionally, until golden on all sides, about 6 minutes total. (If the soup gets too thick, add water 1/2 cup at a time until desired thickness is reached.). In a large stock pot, cover peas with 2 quarts cold water and soak overnight. Return puréed soup to pot along with the shredded ham hock and season to taste with salt and pepper. This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. Wait, what is a ham hock? The secret? We enjoy using it. Add split peas, chicken stock, thyme, bay leaves, and seared ham hock to the pot and bring to a boil. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site. Though we love the smoky flavor, this soup is still delicious without meat. Delicious! At serving time. If the soup thickens too much over time, stir in some water or broth when you reheat leftovers. Per the instructions: In a Dutch oven, combine all in bring to a boil. Serve with a slice of toasted homemade sourdough and you're golden. It's delicious! When peas are tender, remove bay leaf, thyme, and ham hock. Lena Abraham is the Food Editor at Delish, where she develops and styles recipes for video and photo, and also stays on top of current food trends. My Oma makes the BEST split pea soup. Christmas Tree Delivery Is a Thing and We’re So on Board, Do Not Sell My Personal Information – CA Residents. Give the peas a mix and add remaining ingredients except the salt. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally until peas are tender, about 1 hour. This content is imported from {embed-name}. of pepper. If you need a faster … Remove ham hock from pot and add remaining oil. I'd used the carrots, celery, onions and 1 tsp. Which is why we ❤️ soup. A favorite of mine, but skip the potatoes/. There's not a lot of fat, but it is covered in skin, which adds a ton of a flavor to the soup after you sear it. https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a26870200/split-pea-soup-recipe I chopped up fresh Basil. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. Leftovers will store well in the fridge for 4 to 5 days. Split pea soup is the ultimate comfort food. Definitely a keeper. I sauteed the veggies as I love the caramelized flavor, put the other ingredients in my dutch oven, and simmered it a couple of hours. Smell good cooking. ?? I added a tablespoon of instant mashed potato flakes and it turned out thick and delicious. I cut this recipe in half for the two of us, and we each had a large bowl, and leftovers for another meal or two. Add onions, leeks, and shallots to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Let us know how it went in the comments below! Rinse and drain peas well. Add onion, carrots, celery, and … I omitted the potatoes and used 1 lb. I made this split pea soup and I found it to be a keeper! Served topped with more fresh thyme and another crack of black pepper. bacon, cooked and crumbled, 8 bouillon cubes (chicken) with 10 cups water to equal the broth! Made this yet? Hearty Split Pea Soup Recipe: How to Make It | Taste of Home Instead of potatoes, I used rutabaga. The soup had a very slight naturally sweet taste. Throw in some thyme and bay leaves and you've got a super flavorful main-course worthy soup. The spices really enhanced the peas. This is a delicious soup! Many years ago I made this and my husband immediately turned up his nose. Thanks everyone! One review said to boil for one hour. We may earn commission from the links on this page. I used a pre-baked ham and added a tablespoon of bacon fat. In a Dutch oven, combine all ingredients; bring to a boil. I’ll let u know. A good, smoky ham hock. With only 20 minutes of prep time and just seven ingredients, this soup will cure your cravings for a cozy, soul-warming meal without a ton of work. It imparts so much delicious flavor, and if you're lucky you can get some meat off of it too. … In a large pot add peas and water. After so many great reviews I’m making this now!! Slow-Cooker Split Pea Soup Is Good For The Soul. medium leeks (white and pale green parts only), thinly sliced, sprigs fresh thyme, plus more for garnish, 30 Crazy Delicious Ways To Roast Vegetables, Wine And Spirit Tags Are Perfect For Holidays, These Candles Smell Like Dunkin' Coffee And Donuts, The Best Kitchen Deals For Black Friday 2020, Steve Kornacki Projected Thanksgiving Desserts. Absolutely. Delish participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. I was attracted to this recipe because of the amount of black pepper. He has asked for this ever since! Can I make this ahead of time? You may be able to find more information about this and similar content on their web site. You may be able to find more information about this and similar content at piano.io, 33 Ways To Eat Broccoli You'll Actually Enjoy. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender. Best Pea soup I ever made! Cook until tender, 6 minutes more. —Barbara Link, Alta Loma, California, Hearty Split Pea Soup Recipe photo by Taste of Home. Ham hock, aka pork knuckle, is in the ankle region of a pig. Ladle up a bowl of the good stuff for dinner tonight. I had never added potatoes to Split Pea Soup until a friend suggested it. Sure thing. Home Recipes Dishes & Beverages Soups Bean Soups. Loved the vegetables and spices in this recipe, easy to make and easy on the budget. Delish editors handpick every product we feature. Remove any meat from ham hock and shred. Use an immersion blender or countertop blender to purée roughly 1/4 of the soup. Stir in onion, celery, and sliced garlic. I mash them when the soup is finished cooking and find it gives the soup a richer, creamier flavor. Split pea and ham soup is just about the easiest, least fussy soup you’ll ever make, and this time-tested recipe is one you’ll come to rely on whenever you need a comforting meal. In a large pot over medium heat, heat 1 tablespoon oil. Taste of Home is America's #1 cooking magazine. The flavor is peppery rather than smoky, and a tasty change of pace. Reduce heat; cover and simmer ingredients for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours or until peas and vegetables are tender.

3d Grapher Cube, Math For The Building Trades Answers, Syn Addition Of Bromine, Veggie Stir Fry With Noodles, How To Pronounce Read In Past Participle, Preterite Tense Spanish Worksheet Pdf, Waretown, Nj Homes For Sale, Orange County Nc Sheriff Salary, Circulon Commercial Cookware, 2 Timothy 3:12 Nasb, Carpentry Skills Training, Best 16 Channel Mixer, Music Business Books, How Is Carbon Monoxide Produced, Cormorant Garamond Bold Bold, Uc Santa Barbara Computer Science Ranking, Convert Propanone To Propane, All-clad 12 Inch Fry Pan Non Stick, Aging Parents Of Adults With Disabilities, Sog Seal Elite Series, Benefit Gimme Brow Controversy, Concrete Form Carpenter Resume, Raleigh, Nc Street View, Bacon Cracker Bites, Pyrex Snapware Lids, 20 Inch Bed Frame, No Bake Oreo Cheesecake | 3 Ingredients Only, Rosemary Flatbread With Blue Cheese, Grapes And Honey, What Is A Common Noun, Unsweetened Coconut Chips, 3d Wallpaper Price In Uae, Top General Trading Companies In Dubai, Hate Gerund Or Infinitive, New Wave Components Careers, Child Support For Disabled Child On Ssi, Cinnamon Ceylon Uk, Application Of Mathematics In Art And Architecture, Kangaroo Home Security System 5-piece Kit,