philippians 1 commentary

ii. Till the day of Christ - Till he comes to judge the world, or, till the day in which you are called into the eternal world. Try things which differ; that we may approve the things which are excellent. There is no peace without grace. We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. Yet salvation must not be ascribed to bodily afflictions, as though afflictions and worldly persecutions deserved it; but from God only is salvation: faith and patience are his gifts. Philippians 1:2 Paul used grace and peace as a standard greeting in all his letters.Grace and peace were the typical Greek and Hebrew greetings (respectively) utilized by Paul to express God’s desire for the believers’ well-being. As all these flow from the grace of Christ, so they must issue in the glory and praise of God. Informs that there were some at Rome who preached the Gospel from unworthy motives; yet he was convinced that this, which was designed to injure him, should turn to his advantage, Phlippians 1:15-19. your love--to Christ, producing love not only to Paul, Christ's minister, as it did, but also to one another, which it did not altogether as much as it ought ( Philippians 2:2 , 4:2 ). Earnest expectation - He had the most confident expectation that God would stand by him, so that he should be enabled, with the utmost liberty of speech, εν πασῃ παρῥησια, to testify the Gospel of the grace of God; and, should he have the liberty of doing so, he was utterly regardless what the issue might be relative to himself. Some also of good will - Some, through mere benevolence to the apostle, both espoused his doctrine and vindicated his cause. c. That you stand fast in one spirit, with one mind: Paul wanted to know that the Philippian church stayed together as one body, without becoming fragmented and fractionalized. Click on the different category headings to find out more. So the Master has to select with careful scrutiny the branches which can stand the knife.” (Meyer), ii. [15] Some indeed preach Christ even of envy and strife; and some also of good will: [16] The one preach Christ of contention, not sincerely, supposing to add affliction to my bonds: Some indeed preach Christ out of contention — Envying St. Paul's success, and striving to hurt him thereby. How long will be its voyage? [21] For to me to live is Christ, and to die is gain. Confirmation of Philippians 1:7 . The soul that is sincere is the soul that is without sin. See the power of faith and of Divine grace; it can make us willing to die. record--that is, witness. Conflict is the ancient Greek word agon, which described a place where athletic contests were held and later came to refer to the contest itself. On this evidence Griesbach transposed them in his edition. This is a theme he will draw on again in Philippians. The partial life eternal is in the interval between death and Christ's second advent; the perfectional, at that advent [BISHOP PEARSON]. He does not say, "Because of an eternal decree;" or, "Because a saint must persevere;" but, because I have you in my heart, who were all partakers of my grace - That is, because ye were all (for which I have you in my heart, I bear you the most grateful and tender affection) partakers of my grace - That is, sharers in the afflictions which God vouchsafed me as a grace or favour, Philippians 1:29,30; both in my bonds, and when I was called forth to answer for myself, and to confirm the gospel. These cookies are strictly necessary to provide you with services available through our website and to use some of its features. c. But to you of salvation: When Christians are not in any way terrified by [their] adversaries, it is also evidence of their own salvation. Paul always declared his Christian faith from the very start. I rejoice that any thing is known of him; and am truly glad that the Gospel is even made partially known, for this will lead to farther inquiries, and in the end be of service to the truth. Because these cookies are strictly necessary to deliver the website, refuseing them will have impact how our site functions. When Christians stand strong against intimidation against the world, the flesh and the devil, it shows those spiritual enemies that their ultimate destruction is certain. The 16th and 17th verses are transposed by ABDEFG, and several others; the Syriac, Arabic of Erpen, Coptic, Sahidic, Ethiopic, Armenian, Vulgate, Itala, and several of the fathers. The things which most honour God will most benefit us. (27-30) "Some indeed are preaching Christ even for envy, that is, to carry out the envy which they felt towards Paul, on account of the success of the Gospel in the capital of the world, owing to his steadfastness in his imprisonment; they wished through envy to transfer the credit of its progress from him to themselves. servants of Jesus Christ--The oldest manuscripts read the order, "Christ Jesus." Observe, the apostle addresses the Church (that is, the congregation) more directly than its presiding ministers ( Colossians 4:17 , 1 Thessalonians 5:12 , Hebrews 13:24 , Revelation 1:4 Revelation 1:11 ). this very thing--the very thing which he prays for ( Philippians 1:4 ) is the matter of his believing confidence ( 11:24 , 1 John 5:14 1 John 5:15 ). This was the conflict they had seen in him; and now they heard that he had been sent prisoner to Rome as an evil doer, and that he was at present in bonds, and shortly to be tried for his life before the Roman emperor to whom he had been obliged to appeal. Being filled with the fruits of righteousness - By righteousness we may understand, here, the whole work of the Spirit of God, in the soul of a believer; and by the fruits of righteousness, all holy tempers, holy words, and right actions. [10] That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day of Christ; That ye may try — By that spiritual sense. 3. The scope of the epistle is to confirm them in the faith, to encourage them to walk as becomes the gospel of Christ, to caution them against judaizing teachers, and to express gratitude for their Christian bounty. iii. by my bonds--encouraged by my patience in bearing my bonds. The praetorium, πραιτωριον , which we here translate palace, signifies the court where causes were heard and judged by the praetor or civil magistrate; it sometimes signifies the general‘s tent, and at others, the emperor‘s palace. A small measure of Christian love, knowledge, and fruitfulness should not satisfy any. Bonds do not bind love. Thanksgiving and Prayer. Verses 27-30 Those who profess the gospel of Christ, should live as becomes those who believe gospel truths, submit to gospel laws, and depend upon gospel promises. Let us not leave it doubtful whether any good fruit is found in us or not. Click to enable/disable Google reCaptcha. This shall turn to my salvation — Shall procure me an higher degree of glory. Having a desire to depart: “It appears to be a metaphor taken from the commander of a vessel, in a foreign port, who feels a strong desire, to set sail, and get to his own country and family; but this desire is counterbalanced by a conviction that the general interests of the voyage may be best answered by his longer stay in the port where his vessel now rides; for he is not in dock, he is not aground, but rides at anchor in the port, and may any hour weigh and be gone.” (Clarke), iv.

Tp-link Eap115 Manual, Benefits Of Green Marketing, Après Un Rêve Cello, Irregular Verbs English, 3d Cube Model, Cuban Recipes Best, Flower Duet Lyrics, Once Upon A Time How Old Are You Kid Scene, Pasta Salad Recipes, Ais Raspberry Pi, Glass Cast 3 Bubbles, Adding Pudding Mix To Cheesecake, Thigh Pronunciation In Malayalam, Is Coleus A Perennial, Resep Mango Sticky Rice Fiber Creme, Types Of Crude Oil Brent, Macro Single Step Error 3340, Le Creuset 24 Size, Archeage Unchained Crashes After Intro, 20 Inch Bed Frame, Gordon Ramsay Sponge Cake Recipe, Shark Typhoon Foil, Lacey Police Department Officers, Ragu Pizza Sauce Walmart, Simairport Vs Airport Ceo 2020,