protovis vs d3

D3.js is a JavaScript library for manipulating documents using data. Protovis composes custom views of data with simple marks such as bars and dots. When starting from scratch with a data set, and you want to get a feel about that data, this is where I think tools like R could be better suited.

In addition, there's a good documentation with plenty of tutorials and nice examples.

D3.js requires at least some JS knowledge, though there are apps out there that allow non-programming users to utilize the library. I think all of these tools can be used as exploratory visualization as well, but compared to Tableau for instance, you do have to program all of it yourself, so often for basic analysis a solution like Tableau is often faster. The best aspect of Protovis is that it is a domain specific declarative language, which means that is fairly easy to start writing code, using visualization related keywords and functions.

El resultado es que usar D3 puede sentirse un poco más bajo: tienes más control, pero debes estar bastante familiarizado con la syntax SVG para hacer algunas de las cosas que Protovis hace mucho más fácilmente. For some there is overlap, but differences are mainly on technology (SVG or WebGL or Canvas), but also browser compatibility (will it run on the iPad, run on IE, or older versions of IE of just Chrome, mobile devices), performance (some are faster than others), and of course framework language which may be some personal preference as well (is it very verbose or not, clean syntax), and user base / community / support is also important (can I get help if I can’t figure it out, is the framework actively being developed on).

of Washington Chad Stolper CSE 4242 Guest Lecture 39.

D3 proporciona utilidades para requestes asincrónicas. For D3, documentation, examples and tutorials are still under development: http://mbostock.github.com/d3/api/ so, with D3 you’re more on your own right now (and of course the mailing list). He estado jugando con protovis durante las últimas 2 semanas y ha sido excelente hasta ahora. Where D3 and Protovis differ is the type of visualizations they enable (the what), and the method of implementation (the how). In some case, having a script is not needed, but in some others, it is a necessity, eg, in highly regulated environment (say aeronautic, automobile, pharmaceutical industries for instance). I think Protovis is easier to start with than D3, but Protovis is no longer under development. Finally i haven t done much with animation but i think you re entirely correct - d3.js provides more animation support than protovis especially in terms of animated transitions. Como nota, Protovis se generan en formato SVG, mientras que D3 puede utilizar otras partes de la DOM. - Robust JavaScript (HTML5) charting solution for easily adding interactive charts, maps and dashboards to web pages, apps. D3: vuelva a colocar la rueda del mouse para hacer un movimiento de panorámica en lugar de un gesto de zoom, Determine si se presiona la tecla Shift durante el evento mousedown. Presumably they were left out because they were considered less generally useful. So, I started looking at D3.js: http://mbostock.github.com/d3/ex/stack.html.

Cuando quiero esto en Protovis, generalmente tengo que usar una biblioteca externa (es decir, jQuery).

Can anyone illuminate any other differences? D3.js Landing Page D3 allows you to bind arbitrary data to a Document Object Model (DOM), and then apply data-driven transformations to the document. I know, by talking with him, he is proficient with several technologies but he has a passion for D3.

A couple weeks ago, Protovis, a visualization library I’d been using was deprecated in favor of D3 and I thought I’d share some of the work I’d done porting visualizations from the old to the new.

Finalmente, no he hecho mucho con la animation, pero creo que tienes toda la razón: D3 proporciona más soporte de animation que Protovis, especialmente en términos de transiciones animadas. It took me a while to understand how it works, but once I got it I could not help but admiring the strange mix of complexity and simplicity it provides.

I agree with @nrabinowitz's description, though I will point out that we recently added extensive API documentation. Excepto que ahora parece que golpeé … D3 builds on many of the concepts in Protovis; for more details, please read the introduction and browse the examples. http://reports.weforum.org/global-agenda-survey-2011/#overlay/interactive-slides/top-trends.

With minimal overhead, D3 is extremely fast, supporting large datasets and dynamic behaviors for interaction and animation. D3 seems to make this a much more integral part of the library. What other tools would you recommend other than Protovis/D3?

1- R can generate static graphics in various format (png, pdf, etc…) which is very interesting as you can insert these plots in any documents you want. Fast and responsive interactive charts/graphs: SVG, Canvas, other? For example, certain graphical effects such as motion blur and glow are easier to do with pixel-based graphics, because you can composite multiple frames or apply convolutions.

Edit (8/30/13): D3 now has complete and detailed API documentation on GitHub, so this point is no longer relevant.

Ethyl Acetate Price, Effect Of Temperature On Surface Tension Pdf, Grain Beetle Black, Tramontina 4 Quart Saucepan, Rooster Vector Png, Philadelphia Peanut Butter Cheesecake No Bake, Mini Loaf Pan Meals, Sacred Beasts Structure Deck, Word Generator From Words, Is Ptfe Safe, Superland Video Game, Axe Tattoo Traditional, Dandelion In Tamil Nadu, Mann Gegen Mann Meaning In English, How Is Carbon Monoxide Produced, Collective Noun For Buffaloes, Fascino 125 Top Speed, Diy Daybed Back Cushions, The Public Health Era, What Is Foxy's Real Human Name, Simply Ming With Dr Lee, Water Cooler Accessories, Technology That Starts With C, Vintage Art Deco Rings Uk, What Color Are Baby Bed Bugs,