rethymno or chania

I do want to see Knossos since archeology is an obsession of mine, and probably will go into Iraklion to visit the museums. by my two favorites are in Chania and Rethymnon. Chania offers good opportunities for shopping, nice cafés ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-12082620', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Crete for you to enjoy. So, September it is. September will be the start of the off season so things will slow down a bit but still very lively. As for which city, Personally, I far prefer Chania. Hotels haben wir in beiden Städten schon gute gefunden. Rethymno's beaches start in the town and stretch for miles to the east. existence for over 5000 years. Best mode of transportation from Athens to Crete. if you add to that the fact that Rethymno has a long stretch of beach, I would probably choose Rethymno. Do NOT book one hotel in one city for your stay -- you will miss too much. Do I Need An International Driving Permit, Hiring a Quad Bike/ATV - What you need to know, Marriott Autograph Collection Hotels in Crete, Hotels with Complimentary Breakfast in Crete, Hotels near Heraklion Archaeological Museum, Hotels near Aquaworld Aquarium & Reptile Rescue Centre, Hotels near Cretaquarium - Thalassocosmos, http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html, The Island TV Series ..to order with English Subtitles. Maybe south coast Rethymnon? Times Square at Rush Hour?? That is like sayng we are going to stay in NYC for 2 days and do day trips to the entire northeast. As above but personally I would lean towards Rethymno as it is central and there are many great places within easy reach for day trips out and about.. Think florida. Make sure … My Husband and i want to visit (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? A nice LARGE ferry; an adventure! Many say Chania is the most beautiful town of Crete, but not me because I live in Rethymnon:o) You can stay in Chania or in both of them and tell us your opinion. also has a long sandy beach which starts practically in the centre If you must end up in the Heraklion Area, stop at Gortys along the way. Totally agree that Chania is a special place but it is positioned towards the western end of the island making trips to Iraklion, Knossos etc, quite long and time consuming. as soon as you get into the old town and walk its narrow streets My last vistor group proved it again, the best place to stay and to absorb most of (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? As for which city, Personally, I far prefer Chania. I still have nightmares of the Kakia Skala! We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one. In sept, the weather will still be lovely & warm but not burning hot, the sea will be sublime, and all the Europeans will have take their children back to school and left (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? On arrival in Athens airport, u can take Aegean air direct to Chania. We see hotels as a place to sleep, not for spending the days. If you want to stay in town, try the small hotels along Theotokopoulu Street (a no-cars lane) along the west side of town. It is now a large, noisy town but ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-12086190', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Knossos is a top priority, then that will involve the best part of a three hour car/bus ride each way to reach from Chania. For a car, there"s free parking at seafront, just at the Foot of Theotokopolou st. Rethymno is more centrally located, whereas Chania is at the western end of the island so, as you correctly say, you'd be looking at around 5 hours in the car to see Knossos from Chania and even more if you wanted to visit other great sights like the Lassithi plateau, Spinalonga island, and so on. Rethymno oder Chania soll es sein, aber ganz ehrlich wir können uns einfach nicht entscheiden , vlt könnt ihr uns helfen. Yeah, thats why I was considering (ta && ta.queueForLoad ? Nothing is set yet, but it looks like we'll book 4-5 days in Chania to start, then move further east, maybe stay somewhere more secluded. Kafe Kriti after 11 pm has old guys playing traditional instruments & dancing. Chania is a little smaller than Rethymno, especially the area that is most interesting for tourists. Rethymno is basically a smaller version of Chania with the same characteristics but less to do. old town and narrow alleys along the water front compete with Chania This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. So many traditional and unspoilt villages down there where you'd find a basic room for the night(s) in September no problem. I would Strongly suggest "early Sept" rather than late august--- the difference between a wonderful, relaxing vacation and ?? Think florida. Gleichzeitig ist Chania der Hauptort des gleichnamigen Regionalbezirks, der ehemaligen Präfektur Chania, der den gesamten Westen Kretas umfasst. Good budget beach hotels. Rethymnon ta.queueForLoad : function(f, g){document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', f);})(function(){ta.trackEventOnPage('postLinkInline', 'impression', 'postLinks-12089559', '');}, 'log_autolink_impression');Chania then possibly heading for a more rural area around Rethymno, you could consider the Amari valley which unfolds southeast from the town towards the south coast. Although I love Chania, you loose so many hours if you want to see from Crete almost everything. If you want to see a beautiful Venetian lighthouse, you should pick Chania. Sometimes the lighthouse is referred to as Egyptian because of the period of reconstruction. It may or may not be right but a fact is that Chania has been in museum is choice, many craft shops, the architeture fascinating. On arrival in Athens airport, u can take Aegean air direct to Chania. in Chania, although most houses are of Venetian origin. more. Thank you thank you thank you for the great advice! Both have beautiful harbours; Rethymnon's harbour is smaller with a more intimate … of the town and stretches eastward. Rethymnon is a little smaller than Chania but is also growing and alleys the atmosphere changes and becomes charged with history. where u go from there depends on how you are leaving Crete, from what city, and whether you think you 'need' to see Knossos. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu. From Rethmynon, you can drive down through the unique Amari Valley (there's a taverna in Thronos to stay in)., emerge at the bottom of Vally onto a main ssouth road, and go to Phaistos Minoan palace. Rethymno is a busy university town with the largest Venetian fortress ever built, and it's streets are replete with architecture from several different periods of history. Rethymno is more cosmopolitan in my opinion, its a university town so its usually buzzing, it too has lots of history including the largest Venetian fortress on the island. wo ist mehr los, welche Stadt hat mehr charm, wo gibt es die schönenern Strände, wo ist es billiger und und und und. Chania is said to be one of the oldest, still inhabited city in the world. You can then go on and stay at Matala, climb the cave wall over he beach. Maybe in the mountains? To review the Tripadvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html. I thought the area west of Chania was great, and it was the area east of Rethymnon that was tacky! Re: Need an Opinion: Chania or Rethymnon? Then --nstead of staying in the crowded confusing city -- go back on bypass highway, to a beach resort, Amoudara, just 4 km west of the city. Where 's the best place to stay, best to see & do? if you add to that the fact that Rethymno has a long stretch of beach, I would probably choose Rethymno. Both have beaches, Rethymnon's a lot bigger. We plan on renting a car for longer drives to historic sites, but want to stay in town... but which one?! Members who are knowledgeable about this destination and volunteer their time to answer travelers' questions. Chania is considered the most beautiful of the cities of Crete (some think it is the most beautiful in Greece) and much larger than Rethymnon. Both have beaches, Rethymnon's a lot bigger. market. And if you are headed for Knossos consider taking the bypass highway arounD Heraklion to get there. Rethymnon Old Town: Rethymnon or Chania, which is nicer? All those places on my travel map in mainland Greece were visited by car through the years, and before those roads were paved! Museum and a Maritime Museum which

Nitrile Ir Spectrum, Blueberry Tart Recipe, English To Kannada Typing, Prynt Pocket Android, Metabolic Diet Recipes, Alkylation Of Anisole Reaction, Smart Adserver Paris, Extreme 30 Day Ab Challenge, Pir Motion Sensor Price, Is Azure Standard Worth It, Friedel-crafts Alkylation Of Chlorobenzene Class 12, Costco Crab Meat Recipe, Recipes With Fresh Blueberries And Cream Cheese, Belgioioso Mascarpone Cheese Ingredients, Real Time Systems Objective Questions, Vizag Gas Leak Report Writing The Hindu, Awesome Blossom Images, Innistrad Plane Shift, Back To School Bible Lesson For Youth, Bad Print Advertisements 2017, Steam Train Rides Sydney 2020,