tony allen drummer cause of death

After he left Africa 70 in 1979, Mr. Allen went on to an international solo career, leading his own bands and collaborating with rock, jazz, reggae, R&B and electronic musicians. Tony Allen, drummer, Fela Kuti collaborator and celebrated innovator of the Afrobeat genre, has died. Source: https://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2020/5/felas-ex-drummer-tony-allen-dies-in-france-at-the-age-of-79-2.html. Allen's cause of death is not known at the time of publication. Described by Brian Eno and Damon Albarn as the greatest drummer on the planet, Allen was best known for performing in and musically directing Kuti’s band Africa '70 in the Sixties and Seventies. Drumming pioneer Allen’s career and life story were documented in the 2013 autobiography, Tony Allen: Master Drummer of Afrobeat. While Fela (who died in 1997) composed the parts for the band’s other instruments, Mr. Allen created his own drum parts. Fela Kuti did not invent afrobeat, Fela and Tony birthed it together. He found more compatible collaborators in the next decades. He said: ‘Tony Allen’s influence on popular music was so unsung and undercelebrated. The songs that defined Afrobeat, with Mr. Allen’s drumming at their core, move at a deliberate, unhurried tempo, geared for marathon six-hour sets and dancing until dawn. I was lucky enough to spend many an hour with him, holed up in a London studio, jamming the days away. What a wildman, with a massive, kind and free heart and the deepest one-of-a-kind groove. Please see our Privacy Notice for details of your data protection rights. THE INVENTOR OF RHYTHM #Afrobeat, — MAJOR LAZER (@MAJORLAZER) April 30, 2020. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. But in the 1990s he forged the blend of Afrobeat and dub electronics that he wanted on “Black Voices,” which featured guest appearances by singers from Parliament-Funkadelic. Privacy Policy | This year he completed “Rejoice,” an album featuring the South African trumpeter Hugh Masekela, who died in 2018, that was begun at sessions in 2010. He was hired by "Sir" Victor Olaiya to play claves with his highlife band, the Cool Cats after their drummer left. He was born in Lagos in 1940 and was regarded as one of the founders of Afrobeat. order back issues and use the historic Daily Express Eventually, after recording in London, he settled in Paris in 1985. Legendary Afrobeat drummer Tony Allen has died in Paris. “We don’t know the exact cause of death," he said. Mr. Allen was frustrated with the first recordings he made in France, on which trendy-minded producers smothered his drumming with electronics. Are you sure you want to delete this comment? The Nigerian-born drummer, who is credited with creating the musical genre along with bandmate Fela Kuti, died suddenly in Paris on Thursday. What a wildman, with a massive, kind and free heart and the deepest one-of-a-kind groove. DON'T MISS...Neil Jones: Look inside Strictly pro's home after Katya Jones split [REVEAL]Jenny Ryan tells ITV viewer to 'grow up' after slamming complaint [REACTION]Martin Roberts speaks out on Homes Under The Hammer awards upset [LATEST]. It like night falling in daylight TONY ALLEN," a third expressed their sadness. Tony Allen I love you, I’m so grateful to have had the chance to rock with you. I lit up like a Christmas tree every time I knew we were about to lay down some rhythm. “You listen to it flowing like a river,” Mr. Allen explained in a 2016 interview with The Guardian. A truly innovative genius.". Tony Allen, the pioneering drummer who was a member of Fela Anikulapo Kuti’s band, Africa 70, has died. With Tony’s longtime musical collaborator, friend and champion, Damon Albarn, we jammed til the cows came home. She survives him, as do their three sons and four children from an earlier relationship in Nigeria, along with grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Pioneering Afrobeat drummer Tony Allen has died at the age of 79 in Paris. quite sudden. ( Log Out /  Allen was a self-taught drummer and did not pick up the sticks until he was 18. There was highlife, there was local Yoruba music like apala and sakara, there was jazz, and there was Western popular music like funk and R&B.”. ‘He was and still is, my hero. Just grooving high, grooving deep. In 1987 he married Sylvie Nicollet. One wrote: "Rest In Power to Tony Allen, the Godfather of Afrobeat Rhythms. He was born in Lagos in 1940 and was regarded as one of the founders of Afrobeat. Allen, who is credited as a co-founder of the Afrobeat genre, was the drummer and musical director of musician Fela Kuti’s famous band Africa ’70 in the 1960-70s. It was f***ing heavenly. A fourth sent their condolences: "A giant just left us... Rest in power, Tony Allen.". He was a frequent and longtime collaborator with Blur star Damon Albarn, with the pair joined by the Clash’s Paul Simonon and Simon Tong of the Verve in super group The Good, The Bad And The Queen. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Mr. Allen soon found work in Lagos highlife bands and groups that played whatever was popular. Allen was a self-taught musician and began playing the drums at the age of 18, while working as an engineer for a Nigerian radio station. EMAIL ME. The Famous Nigerian drummer Tony Allen died yesterday, Thursday, April 30, of a malaise. Tony Allen, a celebrated innovator of the Afrobeat genre, died Thursday (April 30) in Paris.

Gerund As Subject Example, Modular Log Homes Ohio, Net New Term, Coming-of-age Stories Examples, Why Did Khan Wear A Glove, Dr Bryan Russell, Anti Virus Meaning In Kannada, Types Of Wallpaper Adhesives, Holocausto Campo De Extermínio, Sigmaplot 13 License Key Crack, How To Get Rid Of Rice Moths, Mango Glutinous Rice Bangkok, Best Cheesecake At Cheesecake Factory 2020, Disadvantages Of Biochemistry, How Do I Create A Shared Calendar For Multiple Users?, Alcohol Spray Sanitizer, Is Chai Latte Coffee Or Tea, Heavy Duty Stainless Steel Tongs, Hear Music Meaning, Mediterranean Diet 7-day Meal Plan Uk, Romans 8:28 Meaning, Google Sites Project Management Template, 2007 Eurovision Results, Arizona State Fair 2020, Ncaa Men's Golf Individual Champions, Flip Flops Men's, My Songs Mp3, Cannoli Dip Mascarpone And Heavy Cream, Quik N' Crispy Menu, How To Use Concentrated Curry Paste, Red Wine Marinade For Pork Ribs, Aqua Color Palette, Jaanu Song Lyrics, Baby Castle Bassinet, Kheerat Eastenders Actor, Google Sites Project Management Template, Kroger Pizza Dough Review, Swiss Rail Discounts, Shadowlands Dressing Room Not Working, Samyang Cheese Ramen Recipe, Grand Lake Oklahoma Cabin Rentals,