when to use a colon in a sentence

In the case of a series of related sentences, be sure to capitalize and punctuate each sentence in the series as you normally would. "But Mabel," Harry pressed, "isn't the crux of it all in truth this: an umbrella is a collapsible shield for protection against weather generally?". And here's an example with a formal statement, or statement given special emphasis: "I'll remind you, Harry," stated Mabel somewhat imperiously, "that this same text poses the absurd rhetorical question: '… what is an umbrella but a parachute?'". Required fields are marked *. Examples: "But the real question is: Did the police lied to the people in town?" Chicago Style emphasizes that you do not always have to use quotation marks after a colon. A colon instead of a semicolon may be used between independent clauses when the second sentence explains, illustrates, paraphrases, or expands on the first sentence. As in the case of script dialogue, a colon suffices to show that a quotation follows. The question lingered in my mind: how did the policeman know her name? Avoid using a colon before a list if it directly follows a verb or preposition that would ordinarily need no punctuation in that sentence. Use an ellipsis to imply either a pause in the sentence or that something has been omitted for one reason or another. The list or series can also be composed of phrases: Mabel's reply was emphatic. And here's an example in which a full independent clause precedes the colon: Harry, nonplussed, lunged toward a non sequitur. When the quoted material is lengthy, it's usually set off from the rest of the text by indentation but not by quotation marks: Mabel was suddenly inspired to recite a bit of Lewis Carroll—specifically an excerpt from his 1871 Through the Looking-Glass and What Alice Found There: All this time Tweedledee was trying his best to fold up the umbrella, with himself in it…. A colon should not follow a “saying” verb, such as “said,” “wrote,” “quoted,” or “announced” In those cases, use a comma. When I graduate, I want to go to: Rome, Israel, and Egypt. A dash can add “extra” information and is more flexible in this way. Do capitalize the first letter of the second clause when using APA formatting. Third, I will marry Brad Pitt. Use a Colon Before Listing Items with Bullet Points. The phrase that comes after the colon usually explains or expands on what came before it. Period. Because not all style guides agree on the rules for using colons, you have a considerable amount of freedom with this punctuation mark. Mabel the Cat was adamant that Harry recognize the usefulness of umbrellas for all wet weather: as protection against rain, sleet, and snow. Unlike a semicolon, which can link independent clauses with a range of different relationships, colons only link independent clauses when the second clause expands on the first. Sometimes your punctuation choice is a matter of pacing more than grammar. Use a colon to separate chapters from verses in biblical references, and to separate volumes from page numbers in cited works. Thanks to all authors for creating a page that has been read 699,253 times. No. I want an assistant who can do the following: Rule 4. It merely adds more information. Rule 1b. She could yell. wikiHow marks an article as reader-approved once it receives enough positive feedback. You should not use a colon after the phrases “for example,” “that is,” or “namely.” In addition, colons appear before vertical lists with bullets or numbers. Lowercase also happens to be Merriam-Webster's style.) Still others regard it as a judgment call: If what follows the colon is closely related to what precedes it, there is no need for a capital. Harry wanted to know. Fix your punctuation with practice and help from wikiHow. Italics? Mabel's response is unknown, which is just as well: the fact is that we've got nothing more to say about colon use in prose. Here are examples of sentences using a colon: All humans have one need in common: food. Do not capitalize the first letter of the second clause if you are writing a paper using MLA or AMA formatting, unless it is a proper noun. Examples: Semicolons (;) are used to join two independent clauses, or two complete thoughts that could stand alone as complete sentences. Use a colon to emphasize either a single word or an entire phrase at the end of a sentence. READ MORE: Capitalization After Colons. All three Ellis brothers are involved in the family business: Jethro paints, Willem sews, and Eustace disposes of the bodies. They’d shoot him at dawn (and probably fricassee him, too): an ignoble end for such a renowned rooster. As before, do not capitalize the first word after the colon unless the noun is proper, or otherwise ordinarily capitalized. I want the following items: butter, sugar, and flour. In my previous roles as new media producer with Rosetta Stone, director of marketing for global ventures with The Juilliard School, and vice president of digital strategy with Up & Coming Media, I helped develop the voice for international brands. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. ; is called a semicolon. Paul: Yes, I think you did. ", A correct usage might be, "I would have to pick up a solid coat: winter in Minnesota is cold.". (Never use a semicolon after a salutation.) A colon can also introduce something that acts as an appositive. : is called a colon. Which of these seems more calm and considered, and which seems to move more quickly? wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. Do not forget to use a colon between chapter and verse of Biblical reference. In this example, what comes after the colon explains just what the argument referred to in the first part of the sentence is all about.

How Is Great Value Coffee Decaffeinated, Liliana, Dreadhorde General Japanese Prerelease Foil, Vintage Hattie Carnegie Jewelry, Ancient Rome R=h:edu, Oil Gourd Meaning In Tamil, Patiala News Latest Corona, Raspberry And White Chocolate Cheesecake Recipe, Homeschool Desk Setup, Wickenburg Chamber Of Commerce Jobs, Sierra Vista Weather Radar, Make A Guitar Blank, Chocolate Fudge Bars Recipe, What Materials Are Used To Make A Guitar, Paint My House Exterior App, Chocolate Rice Pudding With Leftover Rice, Lindt Chocolate Advent Calendar, Practised Meaning In Urdu, Self Pollinating Apple Trees For Sale, Ncdot Road Map, Lake 192 Korea Booking,