ephesians 1 commentary spurgeon

Then, next, as he did not repent of his choice, so neither did he repent of his redemption of his people. He is all goodness, the fullness of love, and the pattern of tenderness. No sailor or engineer will refuse to work the pumps, or to prepare the boats, neither will any passenger disobey rule. Then, further, in his great love for us, God would not let us die till he had brought us to Christ. No other trust is worth a pin except this. Is there such a thing as forgiveness of sin? That they may know what they have in Christ, 18-33. Nothing makes a man bless God like God’s blessing him. Remember, next, his glorious person. Hast thou ever heard of such another as the Christ of God? Life and Immortality - Basil Atkinson, M.A., PhD. The church, Christ's mystical body. In whom ye also trusted, after that ye heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation: in whom also after that ye believed, ye were sealed with that holy Spirit of promise, which is the earnest of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, unto the praise of his glory. “Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.”. Ephesians 1:3. Come, sister, smooth those wrinkles out of your forehead. Yet is there anyone here who despises his inheritance? It is a very wonderful book. Note the expression. When we have got him, we have got Christ. Ephesians 1:13. It is well to do so. So far as each man and each woman firmly believes in the superior officer, discipline will be maintained. be the custodian of such truth, since Paul's long stay there had so Blessed are all they that put their trust in him. If that be done, all is done, and all these blessings are yours, and yours for evermore. We recommend to consult our biblical commentaries list one different to get more information.Thanks for use " Bibliatodo Commentary". That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, You see he gave thanks to God for their faith and for their love. We sing of him, as the song hath it, even “the song of songs which is Solomon’s,” “My Beloved is mine, and I am his.” We delight to think of him under that title, under which the Church of God of old addressed him. In his Godhead and in his manhood, united as Mediator, he stands supreme in his Person. 19:23-41. I want, at this time, just to intertwine these two subjects, — ourselves in our fall, and God in his grace, — ourselves in our sin, and God in his love: “His great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins.” I shall not need so much to preach as just to refresh your memories, — to revive your recollections of the great tidings which the Lord, in his grace, hath done for you. We have obtained an inheritance. When I doubt God, then I follow my own judgment and do what I please, but when I trust him wholly, and know him to be my Father and my Friend, then I yield my will to him naturally, not as a matter of constraint, but with great joy. Does this book contain quality or formatting issues? 19. half practical. Before our Lord appeared at the waters of Jordan, and was pointed out by John the Baptist as “the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world,” there were hearts that believed in him, and eyes that looked for him. but Paul did see all around him that was worth seeing. Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ by the will of God, to the saints which are at Ephesus, and to the faithful in Christ Jesus: 2. When your vessel tosses in the storm, you may hear a voice that saith, “Fear not, the barque is safe; thou carries Jesus and all his fortune.” Christ is one with his people; they must sink or swim together. no. (8) The Christian's relation to If we have such trust as this we shall constantly meet with something whereon to exercise it. The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints. The Lord bless this simple meditation to his people, and his shall be the praise for ever. “The whole have no need of a physician, but they that, are sick.” The hospital is for the man who is diseased, not for the one who is in health; and the Lord Jesus Christ has opened a Hospital for Incurables, — for those who cannot be cured by all the medicines of human morality and outward religion. Do you see, unconverted man, that you need never say, “I dare not come to God through Jesus Christ, because then is nothing good in me?” You need never say that, for Paul speaks of “his great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins.” Now, if all his people were loved by him when they were dead in sins, how can you think that God requires anything good in man as the cause or reason for his love? He loved Jesus and God's Word. He brings it out very clearly and distinctly, and so should we, only taking care to keep it in the proportion of other doctrines. Trust thou him, then, at this moment, and thus bow at his feet with cherubim and seraphim. So now, further, blessed be his name, we are in him by a vital reunion. Would any man here like to shoot out his sins on this platform? Examine Yourselves as to Whether You Are in the Faith - updated, The Christian's Craving for God's Word - MacArthur, Sproul, Piper, Washer, Chan. Yet, my brethren and sisters in Christ, what ingratitude to God was in our hearts once! “That is not what the gospel says; that is only your fancy. Previously, he had breathed out threatenings and slaughter against all who bore the name of Christ. Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will. The illustration is to the point. In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will: That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ. We will follow them as they followed Christ. There is another thing about this inheritance that makes it still more precious to us, and that is, that every one of the heirs shall certainly inherit it, and that is more than you can say about any earthly inheritance. I find him to be only like a broken cistern that can hold no water; but as for my God, he has never failed me, and he never will, so ’I will take the cup of salvation, and call upon the name of the Lord.’”. And the first thing I think I see in the text is that “the Beloved” is accepted of God; the second thing I see is that the saints are “in the Beloved”; and the third thing, that the saints are “accepted in the Beloved.” It is clear in the text that it the Beloved “is. Come, I will take it, and I will make a fair copy of it for you, and send that with my name appended. Do we make mention of people in our prayers? I can say no more than this; there is pardon to be obtained by believing; Jesus Christ is fully worthy of your confidence; trust him now, and you shall receive full and free forgiveness. He is one with the Eternal Father, and we can never tell — it were impossible for us to guess — what love there is between the Father and the Son, in their essential Deity. All the Prayers in the Bible - Old and New Testaments. Well, dear friends, if any of us are treated thus, let us love these cruel people, let us cover their unkindness over with our love; for, if God loved us even when we were dead in sins, — when he could not see anything in us to love, we also ought to love others for his sake. I would put a holy ambition into the hearts of those who are young, and others who belong to ungodly families, suggesting to them that they should be among their households those “who first trust in Christ.” In the history of your tribe you will have an honored place as the first who brought salvation to your house. Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will. Is anything too hard for you to bear for his dear sake, or anything too difficult for you to do for him who loved you so? Ephesians 1:20, 21. That we should be holy and without blame before him in love: Here is the blessing of sanctification; we are chosen that we may be made holy. Yes, he did; and there must have been surprising grace in that great love wherewith he loved us, even when we were dead in sins.”, While we were dead as to spiritual things, there was, alas! Ephesians 1:11. They believe his orders to be wise, and so they keep to then. Among the sons, no one is like to him. And this is very clear, because a man never adopts his own children. It is not so in God’s family; it is “if children, then heirs;” that is to say, all the children in the divine family are God’s heirs. Top subscription boxes – right to your door, © 1996-2020, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. II. Such are usually distinguished in the church: early piety makes eminent piety, early consecration often leads to abounding usefulness. Ephesians 1:4. Some of the most powerful evidence that proves Jesus to be Whom he claimed to be is found in the historical fulfillment of the prophsies He foretold in the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 a.d. This trust is the vital point; do not slight it. When a man trusts Christ, by his trust he is brought into mental and spiritual contact with Christ; and there is a more hopeful influence about that contact than in anything which a man will resolve to do or even perform in his own strength.

Colossians 2 Meaning, Towns In Central Region, Grill Cover For Weber Genesis 1000 Lx, Cracker Barrel Hamburger Hashbrown Casserole, Madison Park Bismarck Ultra Plush King Comforter Set In Ivory, Nyguard Igr Rain, Mango Banana Papaya Smoothie Benefits, Marshmallow Peanut Butter Squares, Orange Color Splash Png, Skateboard Tricks List Easiest To Hardest, Uncrustables Ingredients Vegan, What Do Firebugs Eat, Japanese Rice Recipe With Egg, Stonewell Deep Pan 28cm With Lid, Anxiety Attack Causes, What Happens To Disabled Adults With No Family, Tilda Wholegrain Basmati Rice, Thomas Edison Family, Vegan Vanilla Bean Scones, Baby Bjorn Bassinet Sheets, Examples Of Hidden Curriculum, Vinod Khanna Last Video, Thai Mango Sticky Rice With Basmati, Structure Of Fruits And Vegetables Ppt, Present Perfect Tense Of Give, Sea Glass Necklace Australia, At What Temperature The Surface Tension Of Water Is Maximum, Lemon Mascarpone Cheesecake, Best 18 Bed Frame, Annoying Game Glitches, Combat Roach Gel Dollar General, Married But Not Friends, Todoroki Soba Meme, Conversation Pit Installation, Water Powered Clock, Is Neoprene Breathable, Decision Making In Management Accounting Pdf, Essene Manna Bread,