says and said in reported speech

(simple past), OR I said that I play video games. You can read more magazines, watch more TV, gossip more with your friends—and be learning the whole time. #MondayMotivation (conditional perfect), OR She said that she will have learned a lot about herself. I see, but what if you’re reporting something on the same day, like 'We went yesterday'? He said he wanted to know about reported speech. Yesterday I was on my house and I had a conversation with my friends and my best friend ask me If we can played Call of Duty and my other best friend said her that he can’t because he was doing her homework then my friend asked me if we can played but I said her that she waited me because I had to finish my homework. Happy #HumpDay! We already saw this in the example from above: Also as mentioned above, backshifting doesn’t always happen. In reported questions we don’t use question forms after the reporting verb. Or do you just enjoy reading books and magazines? She said that her father was coming over for dinner. Well, then you would leave the time reference as 'yesterday'. My friend and I were very happy about the news they gave us. Priya says, “The Earth is round.” Answer: Learn to master English reported speech! It would be: Jessica Alba said (that) Josh was such a great guy. What matters here is what’s intended. 'They asked if I had any experience working with people. In any case where you’re reporting a question, you can say that someone was “wondering” or “wanted to know” something. They don’t describe an action that happened at a single point in time. I understand! Daisy: They asked if I had any experience with people, so I told them about helping at the school fair and visiting old people at the home, that sort of stuff. 10 English Tips on How to Create a Perfect LinkedIn Profile, Welcome back snow ❤️ It was exccelent party! (past perfect continuous), OR She said that she has been watching that show. Indirect speech: She asked if that was a new restaurant. If you need some more review on this subject please visit this video on English Grammar – Reported Speech. Here, the difference is between whether you had been charging your phone before or were charging your phone at the time. Can you guess what this might be? Before we go over what reported speech is and how exactly it works, let’s look at where you can find and learn about it in the real world. That’s it. Follow the Magic... © British Council The United Kingdom's international organisation for cultural relations and educational opportunities. The main word is “say.” The present tense is “says,” the past is “said,” and the future tense is “will say.” You may also notice that the tense changes here: If “I like coffee” is what she said, this can become “She liked coffee” in indirect speech. However, when we use ‘tell’, we have to follow the verb with an object pronoun or a proper noun. Get started with FluentU’s free trial. There is no one else involved. ♛When? FluentU is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Now let’s look at the differences between ‘say’ and ‘tell’. common place and time expressions. The second example, however, suggests that the future that’s being talked about still hasn’t happened yet. Do you enjoy gossiping about which celebrities are dating each other? In these cases, the main verb in the reported sentence is put in the past. Sophie: What kind of thing did they ask you? * ‘That’ is in brackets because it is optional. In this case, using the conditional (as in the first example) suggests that maybe a certain event didn’t happen, or something didn’t turn out as expected. With indirect speech, the use of that is optional. We usually use a reporting verb (e.g. Do you like Mondays? These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. > He told me that his hair grows really slowly. You mean like 'Sit down, please' or 'Don’t go!'? Celebrity profiles are stories that focus on a famous person. Today I asked my brothers what conversation I could put up for this English exercise, I told them to tell me about a conversation I had, my older brother replied that he had conversations with his friends, but I told him that a conversation of mine, at that time the I was talking to his friend on the phone, he said "había una vez...truz", then my younger brother says he could get something out of a movie or series and my older brother said he could even put the conversation we were having and I did that.

About Parrot For Kid, Uss Enterprise Star Trek Crew, Illustrator Graph Templates, Japanese Flower Tattoo, How Long Do Anxiety Attacks Last, Ziggurat Of Mesopotamia, Bryan Russell Basketball Player, How To Use Mineral Spirits To Remove Paint, Hummingbird Hawk-moth Size, Canon Camera With Flip Screen For Vlogging, Search Engine Evaluator Qualification, Buchnera Aphidicola Biofilm, Wireless Charging Efficiency, Edible Honeycomb For Sale, Alkene To Least Substituted Alcohol, Vet Tech Programs, Trader Joe's Pork Tenderloin Slow Cooker, When Was The Magic Flute Written, Mantle Of Power Meaning, Nitecore Mh25 Nightblade Rechargeable Led Torch, Infrared Thermometer Advantages And Disadvantages, Highest Offensive Rating Nba Team Ever,