how to eat arepas

Enjoy arepas plain, with fillings, toppings or with a variety of sauce accompaniments. We know ads can be annoying, but they’re what allow us to make all of wikiHow available for free. consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. Hurray, I’m so glad that you love them! When I was buying ingredients for my arepas, I almost made a very common beginner’s mistake: purchasing masa harina instead of masarepa. How To Eat An Arepa by the Twins. These flatbreads are a popular food staple eaten at most meals across Venezuela and Colombia. If you want to save the arepas to be cooked later, you may cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for three or four days. An arepa is a patty made out of cornmeal and water. Place four arepas in the pan, cover and heat over low-medium heat for 6 minutes. Obviously, it is a dream come true that I can now make them for the blog and share the recipe with you all. Combine chopped chicken meat, mayonnaise, diced onions, and diced celery with salt and pepper to taste. Flip, cover, and heat on the other side for about 8 minutes, or until a crust is formed on both sides. NYC is the epitome of a food lover’s paradise, and I was suddenly surrounded by so many delicious treats I couldn’t find enough time in three months to try them all. Prepare arepas sandwiches by combining different meat and vegetarian fillings of your choice. It is precooked and ground cornmeal that exists specifically for making arepas. Now is a great time!!! This recipe for Colombian Arepas uses four ingredients and takes 30 minutes from start to finish. Black beans and salsa. You can also enjoy arepas with sauces and dips of your choice including hot, sweet and sour sauces, or dips such as salsa and guacamole. I haven’t had an arepa but these look amazing. Place uncooked shape arepas into a baking sheet. Join me for me for struggles and laughs and some crazy concoctions. Recipe copyright The Foreign Fork. In fact, arepas used to be spelled erepas, because that is the indigenous word for corn. Bake the arepas for 15 minutes at 480 degrees Fahrenheit or until they’re hallow. Love that there are only 4 ingredients! My cornmeal is not pre-cooked. Include your email address to get a message when this question is answered. Thank you so much Jill! Wrap each one in plastic wrap and place them in a sealable freezer container.

Can I freeze this before or after cooking? Cover with the remainder arepa half and serve. How do I make sure my arepas are cooked all the way through? Required fields are marked *. Did you like my recipe for Colombian Arepas? wikiHow's Content Management Team carefully monitors the work from our editorial staff to ensure that each article is backed by trusted research and meets our high quality standards. Once all of the arepas are shaped, fry them in a well oiled skillet, then set them on the baking sheet. Eventually, the fillings evolved into more elaborate and creative combinations. Separate the dough into 8 sections and roll each section into a ball. Arepas originally began as just a plain snack that is eaten on a daily basis in Colombia and Venezuela. If you really can’t stand to see another ad again, then please consider supporting our work with a contribution to wikiHow. How to Eat Colombian Arepas. Buy maize flour that has been pre-cooked, such as Harina P.A.N., the classic flour used in Venezuela. This article was co-authored by our trained team of editors and researchers who validated it for accuracy and comprehensiveness. The internet seems to have a lot to say on this topic, actually. Layer one half of the arepas with cooked meat slices such as chicken, beef or pork.

I’ve scored two summer internships in New York City in the publishing field and suddenly this midwestern girl had moved herself to the big city. You can also use arepas as side dish instead of bread.

Enjoy! You can find precooked cornmeal at your local grocery store. % of people told us that this article helped them. They should be browned and crisped on both sides, and often begin to puff up in the center as the steam forms. As I mentioned before, Colombian arepas can be eaten plain or with fillings. Your photos are making me drool. This article has been viewed 171,999 times.

But truthfully, there’s no wrong way to enjoy this easy and delicious snack. New York City was exciting for a lot of reasons, but as someone that has always been interested in food, I’m sure you could guess that I had reached my heaven. Take a handful of dough in your hands and shape it into a ball, then press it with … No, you can't. Press the ball flat in your hand until about ½” thick. By using this service, some information may be shared with YouTube. Arepas are wrapped in paper when served and eaten like a sandwich. And they’re just dripping with mozzarella cheese. But for the sake of this recipe, I’ll tell you: You can never go wrong with cheese. Please help us continue to provide you with our trusted how-to guides and videos for free by whitelisting wikiHow on your ad blocker. We use cookies to make wikiHow great. I would not recommend using it. Add a slices of chopped vegetables such as tomatoes, bell peppers and onions. This arepa with chicken, sausage, avocado, and chimichurri (grilling sauce) If the dough falls apart easily, add a tablespoon or two of warm water. And if you liked this recipe, you’ll be sure to also like: I love the sound of these! Keep reading for the recipe! You can also purchase readymade arepas. Wrap each one in plastic wrap and place them in a seal-able freezer container. Remove the arepas from the stove. When cooled enough to handle, use a serrated knife to slice the arepas in half. Cover the baking sheet with plastic wrap. Arepas will stay in the fridge for about 3 days. MEAT FEAST PULLED PORK, CHICKEN & BEEF SANDWICH GARLIC SAUCE HOT SAUCE LONDON STREET FOOD - Duration: 10:00. Spread it over one half of the arepa and add a few slices of avocado, then top with the other arepa half. Restaurants that make and sell arepas are called areperas! They can be baked or fried and then eaten plain or with fillings. Pastel de Choclo (Shepards Pie with Corn Topping) from Chile, How to Cook Long Grain White Rice in the Instant Pot.
Since you're using pre-cooked cornmeal, there's no chance that your center will be raw, though often it's soft.

Arepas … haha). There’s nothing you can’t fill your arepa with! Definitely try them out , Your email address will not be published. For educational or personal use only. They are a favorite in our house too. Prepare filling arepas sandwiches for breakfast. Press the ball flat in your hand until about ½” thick. Thanks for stopping by! Spices, ingredients, utensils, techniques… we’ll learn it all, together. These days, arepas are still popular and are becoming more trendy. Chicken salad and avocado.

As I mentioned before, Colombian arepas can be eaten plain or with fillings. The Nibble; A Guide to the Many Types of Bread, Expat Chronicles; Arepas in Colombia; Colin; November 2009, TOPICS: Venezuelans Love Arepas; Jennifer Risso, Tourism In Venezuela; Venezuelan Arepas: Dish That Tourists Must Eat When They Visit Our Country, The Boston Globe; Everyday Sandwiches of Venezuela Flow At Orinoco; Jonathan Levitt; October 2007, The Washington Post; Venezuelan Arepas; Carolina Buia; September 2005, WMMB; Arepas With Wisconsin Jalapeño Jack and Grilled Shrimp; Trey Foshee, Slashfood; Arepa; Erich Kuersten; June 2006. The year is 2016, and I’m a spry 19 year old living in Manhattan. How to Make Now and Eat Later Arepas. To buy masarepa, you can visit any Latin American grocery store or purchase the ingredient online. Home » South America » Colombia » Colombian Arepas Recipe, Published on Mar 4, 2020 Modified: Aug 7, 2020 by The Foreign Fork.

In a large bowl, place the masarepa and the salt. Enhance the flavor of plain, filled or topped arepas by serving them with a variety of sauce accompaniments. These corn kernels are dried and then ground into a fine cornmeal. You can also enjoy arepas with sauces and dips of your choice including hot, sweet and sour sauces, or dips such as salsa and guacamole. Read on for instructions on how to make Arepas with three different fillings. Or at least I haven't. Arepa Dough. Arepas originated very long ago; they were first eaten by indigenous tribes in the land that now makes up Venezuela and Colombia. {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/1\/1d\/Cook-Arepas-Step-1-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Cook-Arepas-Step-1-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/1\/1d\/Cook-Arepas-Step-1-Version-2.jpg\/aid1669-v4-728px-Cook-Arepas-Step-1-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"410","licensing":"

License: Creative Commons<\/a>
\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/4\/4a\/Cook-Arepas-Step-4.jpg\/v4-460px-Cook-Arepas-Step-4.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/4\/4a\/Cook-Arepas-Step-4.jpg\/aid1669-v4-728px-Cook-Arepas-Step-4.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":306,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"485","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/c\/cf\/Cook-Arepas-Step-6.jpg\/v4-460px-Cook-Arepas-Step-6.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/c\/cf\/Cook-Arepas-Step-6.jpg\/aid1669-v4-728px-Cook-Arepas-Step-6.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":306,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"485","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/e\/e3\/Cook-Arepas-Step-9-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Cook-Arepas-Step-9-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/e\/e3\/Cook-Arepas-Step-9-Version-2.jpg\/aid1669-v4-728px-Cook-Arepas-Step-9-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"410","licensing":"

\n<\/p>

\n<\/p><\/div>"}, {"smallUrl":"https:\/\/www.wikihow.com\/images\/thumb\/0\/0d\/Cook-Arepas-Step-10-Version-2.jpg\/v4-460px-Cook-Arepas-Step-10-Version-2.jpg","bigUrl":"\/images\/thumb\/0\/0d\/Cook-Arepas-Step-10-Version-2.jpg\/aid1669-v4-728px-Cook-Arepas-Step-10-Version-2.jpg","smallWidth":460,"smallHeight":259,"bigWidth":"728","bigHeight":"410","licensing":"